Excess moisture problems are widespread in homes with crawl spaces. If your crawl space is dry, consider yourself fortunate. Crawl spaces are generally damp spaces. It’s not unheard of to have moisture levels of over 70% during the summer months. If the wood moisture content in your crawl space is over 18%, you are susceptible to wood rot and mold growth.
A multitude of factors can cause moisture problems in crawl spaces. The main contributing factors to damp crawl spaces include:
- The duct work in the crawl space produces condensation during the summer months.
- High groundwater levels during rainy seasons.
- Poor lot drainage allows water to flow into the crawl space.
- Undetected plumbing drain leaks that allow water to settle inside the crawl space.
If you have a damp crawl space, you likely have problems with the following:
- Risk of mold growth on the wet insulation and wood floor structure. Mold growth occurs in the wood when wood moisture levels exceed 20%. Over time, wood dry rot and decay sets in, potentially causing thousands of dollars in property damage.
- Foundation cracks form when the house settles. Settlement typically occurs when wet soil compacts, soil erosion, or poor perimeter drainage.
- Termites and other wood-destroying organisms are attracted to damp areas and moist wood. Damp crawl spaces are a perfect environment for these organisms to thrive.
- High heating and cooling costs are common in homes with damp crawl spaces because the HVAC systems have to work harder to achieve the desired comfort level.
- Windows sweating on the interior in homes with damp crawl spaces. This is because damp, humid air from the crawl space rises to the home’s interior, condensates on the windows caused by radiant heating.
- Repairing damage caused by these items far outweighs the cost of an encapsulation system. The time to encapsulate a crawl space is before the problems exist or before they become significant problems.
We look forward to helping you and your family live in a more enjoyable and comfortable home. Feel free to contact us with any questions or to schedule a FREE home inspection with one of our system design specialists. Proudly serving Oklahoma City metro and surrounding areas, Springdale and Dallas.