Crawl space damage might not be as noticeable as one may think. When ventilation in a crawl space is not installed correctly or not taken care of, it can attract dead bugs, rodents, fungus, and other unwanted critters within your home. Unfortunately, that would not be your only problem. You and your family happen to be breathing in the humidity and mold spores that live within your crawl space. Breathing in the air from an unhealthy crawl space can cause significant health problems, such as asthma and allergies. Your health is not the only factor you have to account for here. A poor crawlspace can raise your heating and cool price through the roof—the humidity mess levels with the cooling effect in the summertime and the warming effect in the winter.
To start, here are some of the most common signs of crawl space damage:
- Drywall cracks in the interior
- Uneven floors
- Foul odors in the home
- Heightened allergies and asthma symptoms
- Increased utility bills
- High humidity
- Pest infestations
How can air affect a crawl space?
Air is known to be a very efficient way to move water. Humid air tends to move quickly in and out of spaces. It moves in vast quantities from the largest into the smallest spaces. Not only does air travel, but it also brings in moisture with it wherever it goes.
When air is heated or cooled, its relative humidity changes as well—increasing the fluctuation in your utility bill. Warm air holds more moisture than cold air.
The cycle of air entering the crawl space can begin at condensation making everything wet, mold will begin to grow, and then the wood will begin to rot.
Protect Your Crawl Space
At Vesta, we provide several different solutions to help protect your crawl space from water damage. For example, installing a vapor barrier in your home is a vital part of the waterproofing system. A Vapor Barrier is a system that lines the crawl space with a thin liner that covers the floor and walls of the crawl space. Lining the crawl space with a vapor barrier can help prevent moisture from entering your crawl space and prevent mold from growing.
*FUN FACT: When you install a vapor barrier, and the crawl space is lined from the walls to the floor. Your crawl space can now serve as an extra storage space in your home.
We offer other crawlspace services as well, such as:
- A crawl space drainage mat is an essential item because it helps prevent water from getting trapped underneath the barrier. It is essentially a dimpled plastic sheet installed under the barrier and helps move water outside of your crawl space.
- The SmartPipe™(crawl space drainage systems) is an essential part of a crawl space waterproofing system to help appropriately direct water away from your crawl space before it enters.
- The SmartPipe™ (Crawl Space Sump Pumps). The SmartPipe™ drainage system has a unique filter fabric protection system that prevents clogging so that the water can reach the sump pump and discharge properly.
- SaniDry® crawl space dehumidifier. A dehumidifier is always installed to keep the air completely dry. We install the SaniDry® crawl space dehumidifier because of its low-maintenance features and its ability to keep large spaces completely dry.
Our crawl space repair comes with many benefits, including a healthier living space, savings on utility bills, and extra storage space. No matter what type of problem you’re facing with your crawl space, our experts at Vesta Foundation Solutions can help find the best solution. Give us a call TODAY to schedule your free no-obligation inspection!